yesterday felt something close to autumn. the morning was cool and misty. i picked blackberries with a friend in her backyard, then came home and did some baking.
this is my un-scientific recipe. i’ve adapted and tweaked this one over time, and it always seems to turn out.
black & blue pie:
(preheat oven to 400.)
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 cups berries (blueberries or blackberries or both)
1 tablespoon butter, cut into small chunks
: : : :
* mix all dry ingredients & then pour them over the fruit. stir it all up.
* spoon filling into crust. (i always use this recipe for my crusts. it’s awesome.) oh, and remember to use a big pie plate. this is a big pie. put those little chunks of butter on top.
* weave up a cute little lattice.
* place on bottom oven rack and bake for 50-55 minutes, until crust is golden brown and pie looks all cooked and bubbly. you might need to tent some foil over the top for awhile if the crust looks like it’s browning too fast.
* wait a couple of hours (this is the hardest step).
* eat it & be glad.